Professional Resume, AICPContact Information:
Executive Management in Planning, Design and Development“I have always exhibited an excitement about my planning career and I believe that planning ensures the “Confidence to Invest”!High-caliber leadership and high-energy management in development planning & urban design, construction operations, process design, enterprise planning, environmental analysis and organizational development with various national and international corporate and governmental agencies. Widely recognized for entrepreneurial expertise in new business development, strategy formulation, program implementation, costs controls and personnel management at all levels
Creative development and implementation of successful, high-impact and sustainable growth initiatives, master plans, pro-formas and accurate documentation; completion of major infrastructure projects and full compliance with government regulations and industry requirements.
Development Planning, Design and Community Relations
Fully familiar with essential professional specialties, including legal, survey, civil, structural, mechanical and code compliance;
Formation and motivation of cross-functional teams to achieve peak performance, ensure total project compliance, maintain peak quality service and meet aggressive program objectives.
Subject matter expertise in the estimating, negotiation and execution of complex contracts with top management, industry vendors, government agencies, legal entities and key decision-makers; fully accountable for P&L, budgeting, expense controls and cost reductions.
Has exhibited effective hiring, management, deployment, and development of top-notch talent at professional, supervisory, staff and field levels in deadline-driven and danger-close environments.
Possesses multi-tasking talents in team building, organization, needs analysis, program implementation and accurate documentation in time-sensitive situations.
Extensive exposure to cross-cultural practices and international business protocols, particularly in Europe, Middle East, Afghanistan and North America, through frequent travel and long-term residency.
Decorated US Army and Army Reserves veteran with overseas background in military intelligence analysis.
American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP) and American Planning Association (APA).
Please see attached addendum for complete project information and professional activities
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Strategic Planning ● Relationship Building ● Urban Consulting ● Regulatory Compliance ● Project Expediting ● Site Inspections ● Asset Management ● Project Accountability ● Financing/Funding ● Construction Management ● Large-Scale Budgeting ● Transportation Planning ● Parks and Recreation Planning & Design ● Development Consulting
EMPLOYMENT & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
CH2M Hill, Atlanta, GA 2007 - 2010
Principal - Master Planning & Development
Recruited to head up a military master planning team and assist with large-scale transition initiatives in Iraq and Afghanistan, under contract to the US Air Force Center for Environmental Excellence (AFCEE). Primary focus on relocating US forces and related organizations out of the International Zone (IZ) in Baghdad, Iraq.
Currently leading a multi-discipline team in generating a master plan for the
Baghdad International Airport,
as well as the Airport Transportation Corridor from the International Zone to BIAP.
Expanded this plan to encompass a 100-square-mile area to create an international development zone,
“Global Port Baghdad”.
Completed a development master plan for the US forces and ISAF HQ at the
Kabul International Airport
in Afghanistan to facilitate the relocation of US HQ from downtown Kabul to a more central campus.
“Baghdad International Zone Consolidation and
Redevelopment Master Plan”
that was named the
Federal Plan” for 2008
by the American Planning Association (APA).
MACTEC Engineering & Consulting, Alpharetta, GA 2006 - 2007
Senior Principal Planner
Joined this firm to lead and supervise a military master planning team to formulate and prepare a nationwide master plan involving complex facility development for the Afghan National Army and Afghan National Police.
“Afghanistan Comprehensive Plan for Facilities Development”
in 2007. Delivered 10 unique master plans, including the Kabul Military Training Center, Afghan National Army Military Academy, Afghan National Army Medical Command and other entities.
Helped to organize and execute a construction budget worth over $1.5 billion, the largest plan-to-date for any military component worldwide.
ECC International / Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA), Baghdad, Iraq 2003 - 2006
Program Manager / Senior Master Planner
Continued to work through the Project Management Office (PMO) and directed over $450 million in reconstruction projects for this US-based company. Specially invited to work through the Program Management Office of the CPA for Ambassador Paul Bremer and Admiral David Nash. Regularly interacted with key officials and ministers with the Government of Iraq to fulfill their missions.
Designed, planned and executed a new Baghdad Airport Conference Center, “
that attracted significant foreign investment.
Spearheaded the comprehensive effort to restore and preserve the partially damaged
“Ottoman Archives Collection”
in close liaison with the City of Baghdad.
Greatly assisted in providing mission-critical master planning and engineering that was vital to $18.6 billion in new construction and reconstruction for revitalizing the Iraqi economy, infrastructure and security.
Played a major role in master planning to establish new military academies and bases throughout Iraq.
EN Engineering Inc. Las Vegas, NV 2003 - 2004
Regional Manager/VP & Director of Planning, Engineering & Design Services
Oversaw a wide array of commercial development projects for major retail, community retail and special planning efforts, along with all office administration, surveying and engineering tasks.
Key engagements included the privately funded
“Las Vegas Monorail”
“California Jet Train”
corridor and development platforms for all Wal-Mart and Lowe's sites in Las Vegas and Irvine, CA.
Created a comprehensive plan for downtown Las Vegas Redevelopment and the Multi-Modal Transportation Center in Las Vegas.
Foundation of the Carolinas, Charlotte, NC 2002 - 2003
Set up this organization as the first regional development entity based in Charlotte that focused on building economic and environmental sustainability through “Smart Growth Management” in a 14-county area in North and South Carolina. Worked with a 29-member Board of Directors from both private and public sectors.
Launched the first “
Wetlands Mitigation Bank Strategy “
for North Carolina.
Acquired a USEPA grant for
indices, prepared an Open Space Framework Plan and finalized a Lutros Project that encompassed land use, transportation and open space.
Instituted the first
“Urban Open Space Award”
for new development projects in North Carolina and South Carolina.
Allen L. Kracower & Associates, Chicago, IL 2001 - 2002
Executive Vice President
Managed all aspects of supporting urban planning, land acquisition, land use litigation, park & forest preserve planning, conservation easements, condemnation litigation, zoning compliance, community relations and expert witness testimony.
Provided professional planning consultation as a consulting staff planner for several city-planning commissions in Illinois, Wisconsin and Indiana.
Closely collaborated with top land use law firms in Chicago, MO and Springfield, IL to successfully resolve land litigation cases.
Bucher, Willis & Ratliff Corporation, MO 1997 - 2001
Executive Director - Planning & Design Services
Fully accountable for all office management and consulting functions for a Midwest client base with this Kansas City, MO-based firm. Effectively handled environmental planning, public participation, growth management, transportation planning, site inspection and neighborhood relations.
Named “Missouri Planner of the Year” in 1997 for the
“Missouri State Fairgrounds
Continued with this company following the acquisition of the previous firm in 1997 and managed all urban planning programs in the Midwest and South through the MO office.
Land Strategies Corporation, MO 1992 - 1997
Founded this planning & design company with 2 separate offices in Illinois and Missouri to provide services involving urban planning, environmental analysis and park/neighborhood planning.
Retained a solid industry reputation and positioned this entity for a profitable merger with Bucher, Willis & Ratliff Corporation of Kansas City, Missouri.
Woolpert Consultants LLP, MO 1990 - 1992
Executive Director - Planning & Design Services
Established and staffed the new MO office and performed a wide range of duties, including urban/ regional planning, strategic forecasting, park planning, office administration and new business development.
“APA Missouri Planner of the Year”
in 1992 for exemplary planning programming.
▪ Held management and professional positions in community/environmental planning & development, global cartography and satellite mapping with different entities, including the National Imagery & Mapping Agency (NIMA) and the first-ever Illinois Department of Planning/Environment office in Madison County, IL.
▪ Gained hands-on knowledge of a wide range of materials, building techniques, business processes and construction trades.
▪ Highly skilled in evaluating real estate development deals and performing cost/benefit analysis in business, federal and local government settings.
▪ Recognized for solid team leadership, organization, thoroughness, attention to detail and compliance with project requirements.
▪ Displayed professional abilities in needs analysis, resource allocation, blueprint reading, estimating, executive reporting and preparation of accurate documentation.
Webster University, MO
M.B.A. Degree in Urban Marketing Management; Candidate
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
M.S. Degree in Urban Planning & Geography 1988
B.S. Degree in Urban Planning & Geography 1977
Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL
Harvard Graduate School of Design, Cambridge, MA
Graduate coursework in Site Planning and Design
KEY PROFESSIONAL TRAINING & TEACHING
- American Institute of Certified Planners (AICP, #011106) and the American Planning Association (APA, #069185); Certified Parks & Recreation Professional (CPRP) - candidate.
- Planned and delivered lectures to undergraduate and graduate students at Southern Illinois University, Webster University, Harvard University and many professional conferences.
- Researched and authored numerous articles and papers on various industry topics.
- Completed numerous graduate courses in urban planning, site design, environmental analysis, park master planning, organizational management and related topics.
- Military Master Planning experience on Army, Air Force and Naval Bases
* Leadership roles in many American Planning Association chapters and sections throughout the US, including California, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Nevada, North Carolina and South Carolina.
* Founding committee member of the Missouri Environmental Fund that facilitated contributions to over 30 select environmental groups; also founded the Wetlands Institute, the BWR Institute, the Missouri Trails Association and many other entities.
* Past President of the Open Space Council of the St. Louis Region and the St. Louis Urban Forum.
* Active member of the American Institute of Architects, American Society of Landscape Architects, American Public Works Association, American Society of Consulting Planners, Society of Military Engineers, National Recreation & Parks Association and Urban Land Institute.
SELECTED COMMUNITY/VOLUNTEER ACTIVITIES
▪ Eagle Scout/BSA and Explorer Scout; Scoutmaster, Troops #6 and #15.
▪ Soccer Coach, YMCA; Softball Coach, Edwardsville Park District.
▪ Board of Directors, Coalition for the Environment, 1993; Open Space Council, President; APA Illinois Section, President; APA President; Missouri Parks and Recreation Association; American Volksport Association
US Army / US Army Reserves
Served as a Military Intelligence Analyst for 10 years including US Army Reserves.
- Recognized as “Soldier of the Year” in 1984, attached to the 101st Airborne Division.
- Honorable Discharge.