John H. Riggs.Ph.D.,R.R.T.,FAARC
Hospital Services Administration & Department Management
Policy Development/ Department Re-engineering/ Multi-Site and Professional Management
Professional career reflects more than 30 years of progressive management, administration, operations, marketing, research, consultative and education in the highly competitive field of Healthcare and Management. Directing multiple professional departments to enhance total quality care while maximizing human and financial resources, without compromising healthcare quality. Strong operational, management, team-building, consultation and leadership skills. Noticed for particularly effective supervisory and leadership abilities on both a local and state level.
· Highly effective organizer, directing multiple professional departments simultaneously.
· Confident public speaker, motivating and communicating effectively to all organizational levels on various clinical programs.
· Totally dedicated to providing quality of service and delivering excellence in performance.
· Proactive and empowering management style, able to inspire cooperation and commitment.
· Cross-functionally experienced, including cardiac, vascular, EEG, sleep, neonatal, adult general and critical respiratory care.
· Excel at aligning medical goals with business objectives.
Mission Hospitals, NC
A 800 bed regional trauma center
Director of Respiratory Services (2009- Present)
Recruited to revitalize the department of Respiratory Services, including direct supervision of 18 members of the management team as well as 134 staff therapists. Overseeing all department activities, including daily operations, compliance, budget management and meeting accreditation standards.
· Addressed budget control issues by negotiating cost per supply items saving $90,216. per year without effecting quality of supplies. Reduced equipment contract cost by $16,167. per year by having internal staff perform maintenance. Total reduction for the year $184,044. Responsible for an annual budget of $32,000,000. with an expense budget $ 8,940,000. Currently 5% above on revenue and 8% below budget on expenses.
· High Employee satisfaction based on H/R survey completed by 91% of staff.
· Establishing Neonatal-Adult, Neurotrama, Med/Surg ICU service lines for Respiratory Services.
· Recovery of supply control for Respiratory Services .
· Established Respiratory Research Program.
Piedmont Medical Center, Rock Hill, SC
A 288 bed for-profit acute care facility, a subsidiary of Tenet Health Care System.
Director, Cardiopulmonary (2004-2008)
Recruited to lead the revitalization and growth of six service departments, including direct supervision of 48 licensed and non-licensed staff. Charged with overseeing all department activities, including daily operations, compliance, budget management, policy and procedure development, staff education, meeting accreditation standards, and reduction in audit errors.
· Eliminated historically problematic Cardiopulmonary staff turnover from an annual average of 51% to less than 1%, successfully stopping contracted labor cost with a saving of $350,000. per year, and providing CEU’s for RT Staff through SCBRC.
· High Employee satisfaction score, named Manager of the Quarter (Target 100 Stars) by hospital staff.
· Changed EKG process recovering $1 million in lost revenue.
· Established bedside charting for Respiratory Care, reducing error rates from 38% to below 2% per month.
· Established clinical rotation sites for Respiratory, Vascular and Cardiac Echo schools through Central Piedmont Community College, Michigan School of Ultrasound and Washburn University.
· Championed the development of a Rapid Response Team for both Adult and Pediatric Patients, Endobronchial Ultrasound Program, and a Beta test site for Datacheck Quality control system.
Western Wake and Wake Medical Center, Cary and Raleigh NC
A 100 and 500+ non-for-profit hospital system.
Manager Specialty Services (1991-2001)
Recruited, to lead a ground-up Specialty Services, department in a newly constructed 100 bed hospital. Charged with hiring, overseeing all departments activities, daily operations, establishing all policy and procedures, capital equipment purchases, and education of all staff members .
· Hired and trained 5.5 up to 26 staff members in a multiple professional department branch of Wake Medical.
· Established complete financial set-up for four departments including capital equipment.
· Established both long and short time goals.
· Purchased capital equipment and provided cost to reimbursement planning.
· Established contracts with two colleges while named to each Board as an Advisor.
· Named Manager of Year by the NCSRC.
Respiratory Education and Clinical Coordinator for ICN & Peds (1988-1991)
· Recruited and trained all RT’s for a Level III ICN as well as teach UNC and Duke Residents neonatal respiratory care.
· Research, Low flow Theory of Ventilation, Lectured through the US, published 15 papers.
Respiratory Consultant of Raleigh (1988-2004) part-time owner
Established a part-time business, providing services to Manufacturers, Pharmaceutical, and Researchers in the field of Respiratory Care.
· Medical Specialist for Southeast region for Mercury Medical.
· Research work for Hudson RCI on ABGs Feasibility, CPAP comparison.
· Surfactant work for Ross Labs design of aerosol systems.
· Neonatal Consultation work for Duke Medical Center.
EDUCATION and SPECIAL TRAINING
Fellow of the American Association for Respiratory Care
American College of Healthcare Executives, 2007
American Academy of Medical Administration, 1997
Clinical Ph.D. Eurotechnical Research University (Animal work completed at Ross Laboratory Harbor UCLA), 1994
M.S. Healthcare Administration Almeda College, ID, 2002
B.A. Education University of Charleston, WV, 1984
A.S. Respiratory Care University of Charleston, WV, 1982
Awarded Fellow by the American Association for Respiratory Care.
Awarded 3 U.S, 17 European, 2 Canadian and 2 Australian Patents on aerosol systems and devices. Currently holding three Provisional Patents in the U.S.
Copy Write of two books and 16 papers. These cover research, editorials’, case studies and final word reviews. Editorial Board Member for Respiratory Therapy and Neonatal Intensive Care.
Named, Manager of the Quarter Tenet Target 100, Manager of the Year NC Society of Respiratory Care.
Recipient of the AARC Clinical Excellence Award for 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009.
Recipient of RRT Clinical Excellence Award 2007 by the iHi..
Awarded by HealthGrades in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009 Pulmonary Excellence Award with 5-Star rating.